Sunday, February 3, 2013

BLAST FROM THE PAST - Deadly Towers


BLAST FROM THE PAST – Deadly Towers

I highly doubt most of you will remember this game, but it came to mind today and I just had to write about it.  It was released back on the old NES, and was probably one of the strangest games I ever played.  You’re this funny looking guy in a blue/green suit, and you’re objective is to navigate these “deadly towers” to… uh… hell, I don’t remember.  Defeat some bad warlord or something?


What I do remember?  It’s stupidly hard.  Your character inexplicably throws his sword at his enemies (because that’s the best way to use a sword), and you can’t fire again until it strikes a target or disappears off the side of the screen.  Hence, it was always better to be close to your enemies to attack, but that runs the risk of you getting pummeled.  You’re pitifully weak to start off, and many of the enemies can kill you pretty easily (despite them being formless blue balls or worms).  There are also cliffs that you can tumble off of for an instant (and hilarious) death.

There were these invisible spots on the ground that transported you into dungeons full of rooms that all look the same.  The enemies were more difficult and it could take forever to escape and get back to the main quest.  My mom started commenting about the music because it was never changing throughout most of the game.

Wait, sword!  Come back!
I never actually beat Deadly Towers, or even got close to the end for that matter, but it’s still a fond childhood gaming memory nonetheless.  Anybody else played this crazy game?

1 comment:

  1. Never played it. But I giggled when I read 'blue balls' hahaha.

    Sorry, tis the perv side of me =P

    ReplyDelete