Sunday, January 27, 2013

My Top 5 Smash Bros Characters


My Top 5 Smash Bros Characters

With all the news surrounding the recent announcement from Nintendo regarding their upcoming lineup, I’ve decided to write about one of the titles I’m most excited about – the next installment of Smash Bros.


I’ve been a fan since the original debuted on the good old N64, and have purchased and played each one since.  Many of my waking hours in college were spent surrounded by three of my buddies, trouncing each other for hours… in Smash Bros, I mean.  I wouldn’t call myself a pro, but I’m certainly not too shabby.  I’ve compiled a list of my 5 best champions (at least as of Brawl).

5. Marth.  Good old Marth, my favorite edge-guarder.  I never got the hang of his Combo attack, but I made ample use of his Counter and Charge Strike.  It’s very satisfying striking a foe “just right” with the tip of his blade.  Ker-slice!


4. Ness.  PK Thunder!  Oh yes, when you hear that, you better be paying attention if I’m playing as Ness.  I got the science of that move down so well that I used his electrified, soaring body as an extremely deadly weapon.  I could also save myself very effectively, but my friends soon learned to get in the way of the bolt to fizzle the attack and send me to my doom.


3. Zelda. Lots of my friends loved the more agile Sheikh, but I rarely transformed into her when playing as Zelda.  I prefer long range assaults with Din’s Fire and dancing about the battlefield with Farore’s Wind.  Her smash attacks didn’t have much oomph if used improperly, but I had them down to a science.  My favorite – her obscenely powerful snap kick in the air.


2. Fox. Although Fox is by far one of my favorite Nintendo characters (and my alter ego’s namesake), he wasn’t my best in Smash Bros.  Darting about, I loved harassing my foes with Fox’s powerful legs, appearing suddenly behind them and sending them soaring into the sky.  One of my fondest methods of getting my foes riled up?  Standing as far away as possible and shooting lasers at them.


1. Link. Ah, Link.  He’s been my top character since the first Smash Bros.  Although he’s gained the ability to shoot arrows, I still stick to his endless supply of bombs and trusty boomerang to frustrate my opponents.  His spin attack is his bread and butter, and its terrific for clearing space around you.  His regular strong attacks are my favorite, as his smash attacks are harder to connect with.


Photos all courtesy of SmashBros.com.

Although Link is my best, my favorite Super Smash is Zelda’s Light Arrow.  Oh how satisfying it is to connect with that beauty.  Who are your favorite Smash Bros characters?  Who are you hoping to see in the next installment?  Feel free to discuss in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment