Thursday, January 24, 2013

3 Reasons I'm Excited for the HD Wii U Wind Waker Remake


3 Reasons I’m Excited for the HD Wii U Wind Waker Remake
…and one reason I’m dreading it.

While many may not agree with me, I believe Legend of Zelda – Wind Waker is a game worthy of a remake.  For its time, the graphical design and gameplay were innovative and unique.  Here are 3 reasons I’m looking forward to the reiteration.

3. Time for a Replay.  My Wind Waker has been collecting dust in my pile of forgotten GameCube games, but I’ve been wanting to fire it up again for a long time.  The first time through, I never really got to “experience” the whole game, and I’d like to see it reborn on the Wii U.  Plus, now I have my boyfriend to help me perfect it, like we did with Skyward Sword.  100%, here we come!

A screen from the upcoming remake.  Looks rich!

2. Awesome Visual Style. Ok, slap me in the face (with your hand or otherwise) if you don’t agree, but I thought Wind Waker was a gorgeous game.  Yes, it’s “cartoony”, but it was done well, and I’m sure the touch-ups Nintendo is planning for the HD Wii U version will make it look even better.  I enjoy the bright, somewhat abstract environments, and the flourishes of detail sprinkled throughout, like the white swirls of the passing wind, the deep blue ocean splashing on the side of your boat, or the soft light flickering against Link’s face as you pass by a crackling torch.  Say what you will, I think the game looks beautiful!

Wee!  You better love sailing if you play this game!  A LOT.

1. It Is a Great Zelda Game.  Period.  Don’t get me wrong – I still think Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, and Link to the Past (yay SNES) surpass Wind Waker in terms of overall game quality, but the title is still pretty damn good.  There’s tons to do – the world is huge and littered with collectibles.  Pieces of Heart, Treasure Charts and the accompanying booty, and dozens of willing (and unwilling) subjects to capture in your Picto-Box, not to mention a respectable array of equipment Link is known for lugging around.  There are many islands scattered across this submerged version of Hyrule, many of which are non-essential.

ZOMG!  A chest!  Pwnzors!

The only thing I’m NOT looking forward to?  Sailing.  Yes, I’m sure everyone will agree with me on this point.  You spend an inordinate amount of time on the water in Wind Waker.  While you can use the – ahem – Wind Waker to change the direction of the wind to make it more favorable, or teleport to various points on the map, more times than not you’ll just be sailing uneventfully over open seas for what seems like forever.

Despite this minor set back, I’m still looking forward to HD Wind Waker.  It’s one more reason (but not THE reason, for sure) to buy a Wii U!

No comments:

Post a Comment