Saturday, January 19, 2013

TO BUY OR NOT TO BUY - Nintendo Wii U


TO BUY OR NOT TO BUY – Nintendo Wii U

The Wii U has been out for a little while now, but I haven’t had the usual overwhelming urge to buy the new system.  There are a few good reasons for that, though.

One, the game line-up isn’t all that impressive right now.  The only one
that somewhat intrigues me is New Super Mario Bros. U, but it looks just like another iteration of the New Super Mario Bros. Wii.  Nothing else has really caught my eye.  Nintendo traditionally has at least one or two golden launch titles, but not so this time, at least in my opinion.  The core franchises are nowhere to be found.  I would’ve been happy if they kept with tradition and launched a new Mario platformer (like Mario 64 or Galaxy) but that just didn’t happen this time.

Should I or shouldn't I?

The price point is also a little daunting.  While $299 may not be too bad for a next generation console, its hard to justify the price without a strong game library behind it.  The new controller seems to be cool, but I’ve heard so far that developers haven’t been using it all that creatively.  Being able to take your game with you and play it on the move (without your TV) does seem pretty cool, though.

Do any of you own a Wii U?  How has your experience been with it so far?  At this point, I think it’ll take a major release like Legend of Zelda or Super Mario to get me to buy one.  For now, I think I’ll watch and wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment